Friday, July 24, 2009

PLANE, STATUS QUO AND VUVUZELAS


30.000 kms away or more in Colombia I used to think that the plane theory applied to me completely but know here in Pretoria in South Africa( or now known as The City of Tshwane) I learn every day that life and God has surprises around the corners ready to be discovered and mark you forever. The plane theory says that if there is an emergency you put the oxygen mask first; you help yourself before you help others. However landing in Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg a month ago with a temperature of 4 degrees and arriving in a very humble but friendly house of volunteers made me realize how easy is to disturb the status quo. The question was and will always be: Do I want to disturb mine? Coming from the comforts of my home in Colombia to not having anything else but our bags, knowledge and mutual love with my husband was the hardest thing I have ever been through. I said good-bye to people and things I love and every single day I have tears in my eyes remembering one person or another. But at the same time my status quo was that…a status quo…and a turbulence called love changed my life transforming futile my own comfort, my own self, my own oxygen and put my whole life in perspective in a different and far away country.

Every single day I deal with the dichotomy that my spirituality teaches me that Christ was able to be content working with poor and homeless and not have anything while at the same time I find the need to have a safe clean and nice home for my recent marriage. And every single day I handle thousands of feelings between admiration, surprise, frustration, happiness, and lessons from God, wonderful reflections from Berend and by life itself. On one side I think highly of woman here. Wiser than many, they carry their children close to them until they are capable of walking creating I think a sense of security in children which makes them look very happy and protected. At the same time they carry three bags, a blanket and maybe something in their heads due to the fact that poverty makes people change of housing all the time and all they can carry is their home. Women have power positions like the Mayor of Pretoria but I also have observed the extremely quietness of some woman in contrast of my own outspoken personality as a result of a still very chauvinist society which makes men hardly have business with woman apart of being maybe a wife or someone pretty to look and harass at if not the be affected by family violence and have to fled from their own husband or boyfriends. Even worse, see young girls sold to prostitution, having suffering from sexual violence loose their own capacity to believe in themselves and their smile.

On the other hand amazingly happy children but at the same time with stern faces that represent the fact that they have to survive with poverty and their own families suffering. Amazing sunsets and sunrises are with me everyday in a beautiful city that has the amazing characteristics of the African continent but garbage is still an issue and the still not so sure how to define terrible sound of vuvuzelas (huge horns used in the stadiums) which people carry around happily as a way to show happiness and cars competing to have the biggest stereo don’t allow me to sleep well. At the same time incredible people spiritually connected to God and amazingly hopeful to change the city and the world are my first official network here and have received me as part of their organization all though I am only a volunteer.( TLF-Tshwane Leadership Foundation).

We even had to put in stand by some of our values. Always proud that we used public transportation and bicycles to move around and never liked the car because is one of the worst elements responsible of Global Warming…now we have to have a one to have a social life and do something after dark. And due to those uncomfortable roaches, every single time wash dishes, which implies more soap into the environment and more use of water, still can you trust God? Why not? When you have nothing of the comfort you had back home and you are surrounded by 5 different languages, in a completely strange, complex and not so safe city and all your knowledge and experience is not enough because everything you are is tested day by day there is no other option but to have a blind faith that somehow things will be okay.

Life goes on…and we are on that train...this city gets you…one day you love it and one you hate it. I am starting to teach Spanish, help in TLF with educational process and other activities while Berend is being an Advocacy Advisor and more due to all his previous experiences…meanwhile as people say here Sharp Sharp (Everything okay) !

3 comments:

IM said...

Your feelings are clearly coming through and felt by the reader Maria Elvira. Life has many blessings regardless of how they arrive! This new chapter and experience in your life is a perfect example of living out of your comfort zone and will only make you stronger! Beginnings are always marked by drastic changes and I look forward to hearing your comments in perhaps six months to one year, I bet they will be so different! Enjoy every second no matter how different, wonderful, strange, annoying or beautiful it may be!

estimulosmusicales said...

Si aun estas hay esta muy interesante... creo que adaptarse a una relación, un entorno, un idioma y una alimentación al tiempo es una tarea titánica... y lo que nunca puede comprender era como tu con lo estricta y compleja que eres lo hacías tan bien... siempre te he admirado amiga mía, siempre has sido diferente desde muchos ángulos asumiendo la vida en blanco y negro pero viviendo en un sin fin de tonalidades...

CATALINA ROBAYO said...

Mi querida primita...no es facil lo que estas haciendo...la familia, los amigos y tu mundo que siempre te rodeo, lo has dejado...pero...ahora es un mundo en el que puedes mostrar todo lo que eres y lo que puedes dar a gente completamente diferente a ti. El recorrer un mundo extrano no te hace ni te vuelve diferente, siempre seras tu...y asie amran los que esten contigo...Recuerda...tu familia siempre estara contigo asi sea en lo mas lejos que te encuetres...no es mucho lo que he compartido contigo pero siempre te he admirado por lo que has hecho de ti..eres tu y solo tu...TE FELICITO!!! ERES UNA GRAN MUJER!!!!
CATALINA